Do you know why flight attendants tell you to put your mask on first? It’s because you can’t help others if you aren’t prepared yourself.
I’ve flown a few times this year and have a few more trips on the books already. If you have never flown, before you take off, the flight attendant always has to make an announcement for safety procedures in the event of an emergency. They have to tell you about the air masks that will drop from overhead which provide oxygen. You have to put one on; you have to be prepared for the emergency.
But what if you’re traveling with someone who can’t do that for themselves? Well, they may need your assistance, but first, you have to put yours on. If you don’t put yours on first, you might not get the oxygen you need to stay conscious, and then neither of you are safe.
No matter what situation you’re in, there’s more than likely someone you are leading: kids, spouse, co-workers, colleagues, acquaintances, etc. Those people are looking to you to be there when they need you the most. Just like in the airplane, you need to prepare yourself before you’re able to prepare them.
Jesus Made Sure He Was Prepared
When we look at the life of Jesus, we can see how He did this or taught this throughout His life.
- Prayer – to connect to His Father and speak to Him regularly without the distraction of others.
- Matthew 26:36 – “…and saith unto the disciples, Sit ye here, while I go and pray yonder.”
- Mark 1:35 – “…he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed.“
- Luke 5:16 – “And he withdrew himself into the wilderness, and prayed.“
- Resting – Jesus was a busy guy. In a life of busyness, we need to make time to rest. Not just rest when we sleep, but rest in Him.
- Mark 6:31 – “…apart into a desert place, and rest a while…” This was while there was so much to do they didn’t even have time to eat. He knew they needed rest.
- Mark 2:27 – “And he said unto them, The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath:” The Sabbath was created for man to rest and worship.
- Psalm 46:10 – “Be still, and know that I am God…“
- Resisting Temptation – As we all are, Jesus was also tempted by Satan, but He was well prepared for the battle by knowing the Word of God and using it against the attacker. We too should take time for ourselves and read the Word of God so it’s living in our heart so we have it anytime we need it.
- Luke 4:3-4 (and on) – “And the devil said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, command this stone that it be made bread. 4 And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.”
How Are You Preparing?
Are you preparing for the spiritual battles to come? I know, you’re super busy and it’s very difficult to find time to prepare, but you have to take care of yourself before you will ever be successful in taking care of others. You won’t be prepared to lead anyone if you don’t.
So, are you following Jesus’ example of preparing yourself?
You will have a great foundation for being prepared to lead others if you will do these 3 things on a daily basis.